Saturday, February 16, 2008

The First Three Weeks

Ok, so first of all, I just want to apologize to all friends and loved ones for taking so terribly long to update this. I know I said I’d try to update about once a week, but I’ve just really been slacking on all that. I will try to update this thing whenever I can, and once I gain consistency with my schedule, I’ll try to post regularly to semi-regularly. So once again, I am extremely sorry. I am doing well though. I am safe and feeling tremendously blessed.

School is going really well right now. I am three weeks in so far… I think. Sorry, I’m already loosing track of time. This semester is flying by. I really enjoy my classes. My professors are some of the top minds in their fields and have a lot to offer. The classes aren’t too difficult yet, but there’s a ton of reading for all of them. I really enjoy the subjects I’m learning, too. For everyone who’s interested, I’m taking:

Physical Settings of the Bible – A class where we learn all about the geography of the land where the Bible takes place. We take field trips for this class basically every weekend where we go to different areas in the Holy Land and learn all about what has taken place there and how the geography affects that. This Sunday we’re going to the area of Benjamin, so I’m really excited about that!

Jewish Thought and Practice – The name of the class is pretty self-explanatory, but this week we are going to a Synagogue, then we are going to participate in a Shabbot Dinner at a Synagogue. Later in the semester, we’re also going to celebrate Purim, and that should be a really good time.

Cultural Background of the Bible – In this class we learn all about the various cultures and sub-cultures within the time of the Bible to better understand what the authors meant in their context to their audience. For this class, we get to go on a 3 day trip to Jordan to live with a nomadic Bedouin tribe sometime in April.

History of the Church in the East – Also self-explanatory... we discuss pretty much all elements of the Orthodox church. It’s a really good class so far. Learning about other Christian groups really helps one to define or redefine one’s own theologies. Good stuff.

So that’s what’s been going on with classes. The campus life is great, too. I’m meeting a lot of amazing brothers and sisters in the faith from all across America, and they’re people I would have otherwise never gotten to meet. My roommates Theo, Ben, and Jordan are all great guys, and I’ve really enjoyed hanging out and living with them. I’m getting pretty involved on campus, too. I’m on the Student Activities Committee, so we plan cool events like a bonfire, camping trips, movie nights, stuff like that. We haven’t done much yet. We were supposed to have a bonfire this Tuesday, but it’s supposed to snow all day on Tuesday (who knew it snowed in Jerusalem?? I totally wasn’t prepared for that. It already snowed about a week and a half ago up to maybe 4-6 inches, and then it’s been warm enough to wear shorts since then. Goodness this weather is about as predictable and random as Indiana’s!). I’ve also gotten the opportunity to lead worship a couple times for a Friday evening service we have at the school called Vespers. Tonight I even had the opportunity for the service yesterday to recite from memory a spoken word poem I wrote (It’s posted as a note on Facebook for any of you who care to read it).

So as far as all the places I’ve gone and the things I’ve seen, I feel totally blessed. I’ve been all around Jerusalem pretty much. I’ve been to the City of David and saw possibly David’s palace, I’ve been to the wailing wall, all four quarters of the city, eaten several falafels (they’re soo good!), been to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, The Mt. of Olives, the Garden of Gethsemane, the Pool of Bethesda, Hezekiah’s Tunnel, the Pool of Siloam, Herodium, and Bethlehem. I also went on an all day hike through a crater in the desert called Machtesh Hakatan. This is around the area where Moses and the Israelites would have spent 40 years. Let me tell you, I would not want to be in that desolate place for that long. It was amazing and beautiful, though.

We’re gone so much that we don’t really have time to get involved in a church though. I do miss my churches back home. So if anyone reading could please tell the people at FBC Marion, South Union, and ECC that I miss them and they are in my prayers and that I am so thankful for their prayers, that would be awesome.

Well, I don’t want to bore you all with too much information in one sitting. I was going to post some reflections of mine from some of the different sites and whatnot just so you could know what’s been going on in my head and what it’s been like, but I’ll do that later this week and spread it out a bit for ya. Thanks to all of you who are reading. It’s such an encouragement to hear from you whenever I do. I’ve started a site for all of you who aren’t on Facebook to check out some of my pictures (sorry IWU I know that site is blocked for some reason). I haven’t updated much because it takes so long to upload pictures (internet is a tad slower here). But if you want to check it out, just go to flickr.com and search for JE Misz, and my pictures should pop up. I think I’m also going to try to find a way to upload videos for you all to see.

Oh, and I know a couple people have asked, so here’s my address if anyone would care to send me anything (and no that’s not a hint… haha). It takes about 2 weeks for a letter and 2-4 weeks for a package, so don’t worry if you send me something and I haven’t gotten it yet.

JE Misz
Jerusalem University College
P.O. Box 1276, Mount Zion
91012 Jerusalem, Israel

Also, i'm still getting e-mail, so feel free to e-mail me at jon-erik.misz@student.indwes.edu

Thanks once again to all of you for your prayers, friendship, and support. I am truly blessed to know you all. And know that I am doing well and am safe.

SHALOM

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing JE. i got you're address so i'll try to send something your way sometime soon maybe :-) you are in my prayers brother